Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What you got to share?

Masand's (a well known critic) review of the movie “Kaminey” said its “imaginative & original”. And the same day a spam on IP (intranet messenger we use to multicast the masala khabars) said “ITCOMM…plz download Kaminey…” And the very next day our beloved & dedicated ITCOMMERS made it available to the Zamorin. (Our shared server that offers us virtually everything that we need on our laptops.)

Apart from Microsoft windows, I can’t recall any software for which I had to pay to use it. I could have avoided that too if that wasn’t forced on to us as bundled OS with our laptop. After all why would I or anyone for that matter pay for something that can be got without shelling a single penny out of your pocket?

I also added the “Kaminey” to my movies collection and shared the same in my Zamorin account. After all I had to ensure that if somebody strays at my account, he/she says “the guy has shared some nice stuff…” Just like any other indicator, this unveils a lot of information about person’s likings or disliking. Apparently the one with collection of sad songs is a "Devdas". Even the size does matter. I’ll dig into a person’s collection for latest additions if I see his shared data counting to hundreds of Gigabytes. Strangely this seems to work even when we use our virtual identities such as “Neo” Or “Joker” or “Ripper” which itself can have N number of reasons why we do so. May be it’s an another gimmick to invite surfers. Don’t ask me why I chose “Abracadabra”. I have got my reasons to do that.

There has been ever going debate whether sharing & downloading data fr om peer to peer networks is stealing or not. A whopping 78% of respondents said they don’t think that they are stealing while they are downloading. I wasn’t one of the respondents otherwise this number would have further increased, increment being miniscule though. I am not going to put forward my point if it is stealing or not but one thing that I think worth mentioning is the impact on industry.

One obvious effect would be reduced sales of copyrighted materials. But a counter argument to this can be that since people anticipate file sharing, there can be increase in sales too. Say a group of teenagers buy a copy of latest videogame and share with each other later on. But the one industry that has been riding high on the wave due to piracy is portable music players industry & mobile phones. As the price for music plummeted, demand for portable players soared with Apple gaining the maximum out of it. Microsoft tried to come up with a portable player called Zune which used DRMs to put a check on piracy. You need to have –ve IQ to be unable to guess that it was a big flop.

May be there will be some technological advances to prevent the piracy, but I guess there will always be smarter people to find a loophole in that. As I finish this humble attempt of mine to express my thoughts, download status says that latest episode of Entourage has been downloaded. Time to say Adios!!

No comments:

Post a Comment